Alaskan King Mattresses
An Alaskan King is not a type of mattress, it is a size: a true Alaskan King is square, at 108” x 108”, or 9’x 9’. We sometimes joke with people that the further north you go, the bigger the mattress: California King is big, Wyoming is bigger, Alberta is bigger still, and Alaskan the biggest We make these massive mattresses here at Von Viva, in several varieties actually (see our four models above), along with many other large sizes; the image of the family in the bed below is an Alaskan King, photographed in our showroom. In addition, there are numerous customizable options available, so you can truly make your Alaskan King suited to you. We can also supply custom-built beds and bed linens. Here is a comparison chart of the four models above:
Origin of the Alaskan King Mattress
While we have found no sources to verify this, the Alaskan King name likely originated from Alaskan winters; perhaps families like to huddle together to stay warm! The enormous 9-foot squared bed certainly allows for that. See below for how the Alaskan King compares to other sizes.
At Von Viva Mattresses, founded in 1976, we meticulously design and build made-to-order premium mattresses, shipping them straight from our workshop to your door. We do not use warehouses or retail middlemen.
How do we produce such large mattresses?
We use our own, industry-leading luxury modular mattress design, making the mattress very easy to assemble and disassemble without any tools required. This means they pack conveniently, and fit through doorways and around corners; it also means the segments of the mattress can be completely tailored for materials, firmness and comfort:
Advantages of our Alaskan King’s modular design
- The mattress can accommodate two (or more) sleepers instead of one; for example, firm on the left side, medium on the right – with a completely seamless experience at the surface.
- Certain Alaskan King mattress models (such as our Kona, Denali and Rundle) also allow different preferences along the vertical length of the body; such as soft in the shoulder region, and medium-soft in the hips. And yes, this is customizable for each sleeper.
- Components can be flipped and rotated for superior longevity.
- We build Alaskan Kings using a wide range of fine-quality materials: Rich Natural Talalay Latex, Organic Dunlop Latex, Blended Talalay, Joma Wool, Organic GOTS Cotton, as well as the finest quality plush-synthetics. This allows adjusting for heat, texture and softness throughout.
- We include a personal phone consultation with each mattress, to ensure it is a perfect fit for your needs before its construction begins.
- Because components can be easily replaced over time as they wear (see our components page), your luxurious Alaskan King mattress is ultimately a lifetime product.
- Moving your mattress is surprisingly easy; our mattresses quickly disassemble and reassemble without tools so they can easily be moved through doorways, or around corners and stairs. Disassembly and reassembly causes absolutely no damage.
6 Steps to the Ultimate Alaskan King Experience
- Visit our online shop to select and purchase Alaskan King model that best suits your preferences. We have 4 mattresses available in this size. Feel free to call us first if you are not certain which mattress model will suit you best.
- When we receive your order, we’ll send you a questionnaire about your sleep needs. Simply reply to us with your answers.
- One of our Mattress Consultants will call you to review your questionnaire responses to ensure your order is exactly right for you.
- We build your mattress (2 – 4 weeks), notifying you when it is ready. We then ship it securely (6 – 12 days) to you.
- Your mattress arrives! Following our simple instructions, you simply layer the components inside the zippered cover and zip it together. No tools (or super-human strength) is required.
- Make your bed as you normally would, and then crawl in to enjoy a luxurious Alaskan sleep, dreaming about huge mountains and spectacular fjords. If you like, drop us a note or review. If you need any changes, contact us any time and one of our in-house staff will personally assist you.
Shipping: We offer free shipping across North America (including Alaska!), based on typical shipping allowances. We firmly wrap and pack our mattresses into layers of cardboard and fabric, to ensure safe delivery. Our modular mattresses quickly disassemble and reassemble, making them easy to move through doorways and ship safely. For more shipping information click here.
Warranty: Have you ever tried to return a mattress purchased from out of town? It is nearly impossible to pack and ship. That’s why at Von Viva, we offer replacement components instead, at far less than the cost of an entire mattress. While our premium quality mattresses will typically last 8 – 15 years without refurbishment; however we offer components here that also include shipping fees, so your mattress can last a LIFETIME. For more details on our warranty, please click here.